Friday, March 14, 2014

What Does It Mean To Be A Man

What does it mean to be a man? Or is the better question what does it take to be a man? I get so confused some times because I don't know what this society wants from a nigga bro. Is there more to being a man than being macho? Does He have to be able to bench press 300 pounds ? Or is 225 pounds just enough? How many push ups he gotta be able to do or sit ups do he gotta be able to do before he's considered a real man? How many bitches does a man gotta fuck before he's considered a man?  Should I wear designer clothes or nah? How much should my shoes cost on average? I pay $30 for a T-shirt but it ain't Ralph tho. How many inches does his dick gotta be before he's considered a real man? Sometimes I feel like my generation is lost out here fam. Does the size of my bank account make me a man? What if I don't have enough money? Should I feel inadequate and inferior because the other man drives a better car than me or can play basketball better than I can? Shit what if I don't have a car at all? When I go clubbing with my friends what if I don't pop enough bottles? How many bottles do I have to pop before I convince society and myself that I am a man? How many degrees I gotta own? If my chick got a PHD and I only got a masters is she better than me? Am I less of a man? Do she wear the pants in our relationship?  Should my girl still respect me if I'm not earning as much as her best friend boyfriend? How can I look at myself in the mirror and call myself a man if I can't meet up to the standards I see society setting for me everyday? They keep switching these rules up on me cuh. I log unto my twitter and I see a different standard everyday saying a 'A real man does this or does that, a real man eats eggs, a real man drinks vodka straight, a real man can do 100 pushups. A real man can change a tire, like sheesh.  Again I ask. What does it mean to be a man? What does it take to be a man? 
I'm not Sway I ain't got the answers Bruh. But in my own personal journey I've learned that a man takes responsibility whether it be for his life or for the welfare of his loved ones. But what if my wife gets cancer and I can't cover all her hospital bills? Does that make me less of a man? What if my son wants to go to Harvard and I can't afford to pay for his tuition have I failed as a man?  What if my wife earns more than I do? Should I feel some type of way about that? What will my friends say? What will society say? Truth of the matter is I don't know what it means or takes to be a real man. I ain't got the answers I'm just living this life one day at a time trying to gain some understanding. I guess at the end of the day it takes a 'real man' to admit "I don't know shit", I'm just Tryna live bro. I want my life to have meaning, I wanna live for a purpose greater than myself.. I guess at the end of the day all I really know is that this life is just a pot of beans. 

3 comments: